Gray Bees Walk Away With Gold at NJCTC Relays

UDII+Juan+Rosa+runs+the+800-meter+in+the+4x800m+relay.+

Mae Kellert

UDII Juan Rosa runs the 800-meter in the 4x800m relay.

Othman Muhammad, Assistant Sport Editor

The Outdoor Track team took home four first place finishes at NJCTC Al Naimo Spring Relays on Apr 10.

The Varsity Sprint Medley Relay team consisting of senior Stephen Valvano, senior Magnum Phelps, UDII Byron Simmons, and UDI Kaylan Depas ran a time of 3 minutes and 39 seconds to take first. From start to finish the Gray Bees lead that race. With that winning time, the relay team is currently ranked seventh in New Jersey.

The Varsity Distance Medley Relay did its part as well. UDII Juan Rosa, UDII Adrian Ceballo, freshman Ronald Kigen and freshman Demere Kearny took first. Ronald, the team’s anchor, was put in a difficult position when he received the baton. Even though he had a 50-meter gap in front of him, he did not allow that to hinder his success. With 600 meters to go, Ronald closed the gap and managed to carry his team to success. Along with the SMR, the Distance Medley Relay team is the fastest relay in Essex County.

Freshman Ronald Kigen runs the 1600-meter leg in the Distance Medley Relay.
Mae Kellert

Going into the race the team felt confident. Juan, the 1200-meter leg in the DMR, was caught off guard by a runner from Notre Dame High School.

“The lead off leg took off and I expected the kid to die out,” he said. “Before I knew it the gap was too big to close, but nonetheless we got the job done.”

Individually Magnum and UDII Mac-Gregore Jeune achieved first place in the field.

Magnum went 21-3 to win the Long Jump. At the moment Magnum is ranked 4th in New Jersey and is leading Essex County in the Long Jump.

Mac-Gregore jumped 5-10 to win the High Jump. That winning jump makes him tied for third in the Essex County High Jump.

Moving forward the team is looking to improve so that they can accomplish their goals for outdoor.

“NJCTC Relays were a good opportunity for many to get their outdoor season started and for others to improve on their marks,” distance coach David Alfano said. “We are all training very hard right now with a purpose to achieve our fastest marks when it matters.”