The Gray Bees Advance to the State Prep Championships

Richard Araujo, Sports Editor

The varsity basketball team doused Peddie’s chance of competing in the State Prep Championships, in a 70-54 rout in the semifinals, Feb 16. The win was sweeter considering the Gray Bees lost to Peddie in their first encounter of the season.

“Today, everyone did their job, listened to the coaches, and played hard,” said senior and captain Bourama Sidibe.

Senior Warren Williams added, “I think this time we came out with more heart, bringing intensity from the start.”

And he was right. By the end of the first half, the Gray Bees were winning 36-22.

However, the game was constantly interrupted by the referees’ whistle, as fouls were constantly called. The scoreboard read six fouls from Benedict’s and seven from Peddie at halftime.

By the end of the third quarter, Peddie had six fouls and Benedict’s, one.

Peddie’s fouls showed the team’s frustration with the Gray Bees’ major advantage – the height of the players. This Gray Bees’ advantage led to constant offensive and defensive rebounds.

“We used our bigs today,” said Bourama.
During one stretch, the Gray Bees grabbed four consecutive offensive rebounds before Bourama dunked the ball for another two points. The height difference posed more issues for Peddie as Bourama injured Peddie’s Jakob Niglio while posting him up for another layup.

In the fourth quarter, Peddie’s festival of three pointers briefly threatened the Gray Bees’ 19 point lead. Most of their three pointers came from Advaita Kadiyala, whose performance shortened the Gray Bees’ lead to 12 by the end of the game.

Overall, Peddie scored 11 three pointers.

Despite the barrage of three pointers, the Gray Bees emerged victorious.

Four of the players on the team scored in the double digits.

Bourama led the team in scoring with 18 points. He also had eight rebounds and five blocks.

Additionally, UDI Precious Achiuwa posted a double-double – 17 points, 13 rebounds and two blocks.

Moreover, Freshman Noah Farrakhan scored 15 points, and Warren had 10.