5-0 Win for the Gray Bee’s Varsity Soccer Team

Rhys Armstrong, Special Correspondent

The Gray Bees played against Hunterdon Central High School on Tuesday, Oct. 22, at NJIT, and the varsity team came out with another victory. The game finished 5-0 with a very promising performance coming from team members for the full 80 minutes. This game kept the Gray Bees with a 16-0-1 undefeated record, leading the varsity soccer team into the last 3 games of the season as #1 in the country.

The game’s first goal came from Thiago Quintanilha SY, a starting striker, when he turned from outside the penalty box and launched the ball to the bottom right corner of the goal, which put the team in a good position at the start of the game. The Gray Bees continued to play with the same energy, and shortly after a second goal came from Zemi Rodriguez UD2 when Tony Yeboah UD2 crossed the ball into Zemi’s head and he put the team up 2-0 going into the second half. 

The same lineup that finished the first half started the second half. The Gray Bees continued to put pressure on opposing players and forced them back into their half. Hunterdon Central had very little possession and one chance on goal the full half. The next 3 goals in the game came from Zemi Rodriguez UD2, Tony Yeboah UD2, and Peter Yaro UD1.  These last three goals put determined the victory of the Gray Bees, and enabled 21 of the 24 players to get on the field. “I am very proud of my team for playing the full 80 minutes with the same intensity and desire to score the game’s next goal,.” Captain Cao Chaves SY said. 

Team members set their goal at the start of the season to be the first-ever team in American history to win three national championships in a row. Their next challenge is an away game at East Side High School on Friday, Oct. 25. 

“We have to take one game at a time and stay focused on our goals for this season,” Team  Captain Lui Chaves said. “We will be working hard in practice to get as perfect as possible going into the final stretch of the season.”