NHS Inducts Newest Members

Alfahtee Huey

Eleven inductees make NHS pledge.

Leo Smith, Assistant Online Editor

Parents, teachers and students filed into the Radel Library in the early evening of March 7 to celebrate the induction of the eleven newest members of the St. Benedict’s chapter of the  National Honor Society.

UDIs Sebastian Granizo, Maurice Williams, Ivan Jordan and Julius Lopina-Carpenter, and UDIIs Mike Aguirre, Richard Araujo, Brian Benedict, Faseeh Bhatti, Nico Black, Alex Lemus, Bryan Martinez, and Matt Pereira were sworn in by senior Rui De Oliveira

Pride could be seen on any given face in the room as these eleven inductees were honored for the academic and service achievements.

“I pledge to uphold the high purposes of the National Honor Society… I will be true to the principles for which it stands….”

NHS faculty moderator James Duffy congratulated the inductees.

“It’s encouraging to see another class of inductees to keep the NHS a vibrant component of the school,” Mr. Duffy said.

National Honor Society members are expected to provide community service hours as well as tutoring hours. They also are expected to participate in various events and fundraisers run by the NHS.

“I feel empowered. I have taken upon a great responsibility on my shoulders and I will not disappoint,” Julius said.

Chemistry teacher Dr. Dennis Lansing, was the keynote speaker for the night.

Dr. Lansing spoke on developing good character, sharing one’s talents and listening to others in order understand his or her needs.

At the conclusion of his speech, he left the new inductees with this token of wisdom.

“Character is simply a strongly established habit,” he said.

Eleven students were inducted into the NHS in the Radel Library.
Alfahtee Huey