Love One Another

Back to Article
Back to Article

Love One Another

Aurie sits alongside peers at the Youth in Theology and Ministry Program of St. John's University.

One day this summer, I found I had a plane ticket in my hand. It was time, I realized, to go to Minnesota. I was going there to attend a program called YTM—short for Youth in Theology and Ministry—at St. John’s University. Every day while I was there I learned about theology and did service trips for kids from Somalia at the university’s St. Cloud Center. I had to bring money just in case of emergencies so I brought with me $180. Every day was great until the second to last day. I came to my room to discover that my $180 had disappeared. I was angry, shocked, and disappointed.

“How could I get stolen from at a God camp?” I thought to myself.

I looked at Jesus and said, “How could this happen?”

I was so angry the following day, I did not go to the closing ceremony. At least half of it. I sat in my room just thinking about how someone stole from me. Then the camp counselors came with the security police and asked me questions. I never saw the security team again. I began to just realize that the money was gone, so I headed down to the lake on campus and just swam around with the fish and the turtles.

When I got out of the lake, the camp’s student leader, Donelle, approached me. She started to apologize for the incident that happened and handed me $130. “It was from all the counselors and every single one of them agreed to help you because you are such a nice kid,” she said.

I couldn’t believe it because I didn’t even talk to some of the counselors. They saw me in need and decided to help me. Two of the other campers also helped me out and gave me $60. I felt like that moment was the entire point of the camp. To love one another.