Ironbound USA: Helping Juniors Create an Image

Patrick Santa-Marinha, Staff Writer

Three weeks ago, St. Benedict’s gave a group of UDII’s the opportunity to join Ironbound USA, a six week program, that runs every Monday from 6 p.m – 8 p.m. This program helps older teenagers build skills to help create job opportunities.

Gary Bloore, the founder, wanted to serve as a mentor for older kids who are starting to create an image for themselves.

Although 150 teenagers have been taught the Ironbound USA curriculum so far, Mr. Bloore wants to expand the program even further. He wants to teach at least 1,000 students in the two years. The program is very selective.

"Inspired by the American flag, the five iron pillars of the IRONBOUND logo symbolize the values we believe essential for our business and for us as individuals. The “I” symbolizes the binding of those values by working together toward a common purpose. Together we are BOUND IN IRON."
“Inspired by the American flag, the five iron pillars of the IRONBOUND logo symbolize the values we believe essential for our business and for us as individuals. The “I” symbolizes the binding of those values by working together toward a common purpose. Together we are BOUND IN IRON.”

All the kids were picked out by assistant headmaster, Michael Scanlan.  Participant UDII Thomas Schwartz said, “ It’s a fun experience; the guys in it are fun; Gary’s a fun guy. He keeps us energized even though it’s late after school.”

The first thing Thomas learned in the program was how to build a good brand of yourself.

“Mr. Bloore wants us to show the best of ourselves for a job,” Thomas said.

The next thing they will start to learn is how to give a good interview. That is very important when applying for a job. Thomas mentioned that Mr.Bloore said the only way to get better at interviews is to practice.

Mr. Bloore says he has a mission with the creation of Ironbound USA. His mission is building skills and creating jobs.

“Everything we do supports our mission,” said Mr. Bloore.

Mr. Bloore wants to help teens become leaders and develop more confidence when getting interviewed. He said, ”This new generation is our future”.

Mr.Bloore started his program at St. Benedict’s prep with the contribution from Michael Pennella, a St. Benedict’s prep graduate. Mr.Penella was the first to work with Mr.Bloore.

Mr.Bloore said having the program at St. Benedicts is very worthwhile.        ” Working at St. Benedict’s makes the program even better.”