One Gray Bee Advances to Finals

By Thomas Schwartz, Sports Editor

Senior, Robert Marshall is the only Gary Bee that advanced to Easterns finals.

The swimming team traveled to La Salle University  in Pennsylvania to participate in the Eastern Championship Tournament. Most of the Gray Bees swam for personal bests and even had senior, Robert Marshall, qualify for the finals. But with tough competition they returned without any medals.

Even though the swimming team struggled this season with only two wins, the team has been making improving strides. UDII Stephen Valvano, who swam for a personal best at Easterns, says the team has grown over the year and finished in better shape than they started. The communication between coaches and players resulted in the swimming team’s good chemistry.

“Cass [the head coach] understands the certain workouts that kids need during practice. Whether it means resting a little more one day or pushing yourself harder the next,” Stephen Valvano said.

The swimming team has key seniors leaving this year who have participated a lot to the team’s successes over the years. But the future still looks bright for the team with a talented bunch of upper division classmen and freshmen. Swimming manager, Walter Barnes has been part of the swimming team for three years and is hopeful for the team’s future.

“Everyone’s competitive, sophomores are making times that seniors did when they were their age,” Walter Barnes said.

The team’s preparation for Easterns began at the start of the season. The good chemistry has been a factor into the improving swim team. The team’s strong work ethic continued to show during meets and only shows good signs for the future.

“It’s gonna hurt [that the seniors that are leaving], but we have a lot of young, talented new players,” Head Coach Glenn Cassidy said.