Swim Team beats Riverdale in First Meet of the Season

Dennis Lansang MD

Dennis Lansang MD

ZachWojcikIMGP3747

Senior, Zack Wojcik dominates in the 100 breaststroke.

The swim team started the season off on a high defeating Riverdale (NY) 89-81 on Wednesday, December 11, in the HAB pool. “It’s good to start your season off with a win,” said Head swimming coach, Glenn Cassidy. Senior Zach Wojcik agreed but said “It always feels good to win but we should have won by more.”

This year’s swim team welcomed 15 newcomers, who contributed to the first win.They competed in many events such as the 100-yard backstroke, 500-yard freestyle, and the 100-yard fly and did fairly well.  “I felt exciting like I achieved something for once,” said freshman Aiden Rodgers, a newcomer, who won the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:08.99.

The teams best event was the 100-yard breaststroke where Zach placed first with a time of  1:11.82, UD2 Otis Tyson placed second, and UD1 Ameen King placed third.

With one win under their belt, they think about the season ahead. Zach said “We have a real promising season.”

“I’m looking forward to a good season. We have a lot of talent,” Mr. Cassidy said.

The team’s next meet is on Monday, December 16, against Horace Mann, in the HAB pool at 4 p.m.

ChrisVintimillaIMGP3720

FY, Chris Vintimilla is one of the incoming swimmers, who contributed to the win against Riverdale.