ShopRite Opening Creates Jobs for Newark

ShopRite Opens Near Benedict’s

Andrew Sosanya

The new ShopRite opened on September 30th, 2015. It is located on Springfield Avenue in Newark.

Andrew Sosanya and Leo Smith

Last week’s grand opening of the ShopRite of Newark has created an estimated 250 jobs for Newark residents.The opening was met with great anticipation as Newark residents filled the parking lot for the ribbon cutting. Mayor Ras Baraka said the new ShopRite will be a major source in Newark’s job development and growth.

The mayor is not the only one excited.

“I love that it’s closer to where I live, so this job is really convenient for me ,” said ShopRite clerk Judy Lara, who applied for the job once she heard of the plans to build a ShopRite.

The  owners of the ShopRite have taken steps to make sure that the store not only employs newarkers but also represents Newark. For example. St.Benedict’s students teamed up with 300 local students to paint a mural that portrayed what they thought Newark’s community should look like.

img_0952

The Barat Foundation sponsored the mural as part of its Public Art program, which promotes art in Newark. The wide, 44-panel mural, on permanent display inside the store,  gave local high school students a hands on opportunity to illustrate community progress. Senior and Newark resident Dominic Silva said that he painted part of the mural because he wanted to get involved with community efforts.

“[It’s important] to have students get involved in helping others,” he said.

The opening has alleviated the city’s food desert crisis. For over 20 years, the city had very few places that provide nutritious and healthy foods at a reasonable price. Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno said that officials are making sure food deserts in New Jersey will come to an end.

“No longer will residents have to drive or take a bus to supermarkets in cities like West Orange and Clifton to get fresh food,”  Lt.Gov Guadagno said.

The spacious, 70,000 sq.ft. building is  within walking distance of St. Benedict’s  on Springfield Avenue. Chandri Barat, director of the Barat Foundation said that it is one step in improving Newark.

“[Shoprite] is a major stake in the ground for Newark,” said Ms.Barat. “It’s an oasis in what was a food desert yesterday.”

img_0958