JV Team Places 5th at State Prep Championships

CROSS COUNTRY

Tajai Davis

(Pictured) Freshman Jevon Varela led the Gray Bees to 5th place at the State Prep Championships with a time of 19:02. Isaiah Murray (Pictured) followed up with a time of 20:28.

Othman Muhammad, Staff Writer

The JV cross country team got its chance to shine at the NJSIAA State Prep Championships on Oct. 28. The Gray Bees raced against the top prep schools across the state at Blair Academy in Blairstown. The coaching staff, resting the varsity team for the county championships, gave the JV team an opportunity to represent St. Benedict’s at the event. Despite facing rough weather and muddy terrain, the JV team still came in 5th place.

Racing against five other teams, freshman Jevon Varela finished 25th and ran the best time of the day with a personal best of 19:02. UDI Kaylan Depas finished 27th with a time of 19:21 and missed a personal best by only two seconds. UDI Isaiah Murray finished 32nd, dropping his personal record by over a minute. The muddy terrain held freshman Isaiah Jimenez back from a personal best. Finally, fifth man senior Andrew Sosanya closed the day with a 22:04, ending up in 36th.

The day was difficult for them all.
“It was freezing cold, and I could not see more than five feet in front of me,” Andrew said. “I felt scared running down hill and I witnessed my own teammates fall.”

Lawrenceville won the meet, scoring 38 points while St. Benedict’s accumulated 154 points.

EDITOR’S NOTE: The varsity team placed second at the Essex County Championships Oct.30 in Brookdale Park. Freshman Ronald Kigen placed second with a time of 15:50. Junior Juan Rosa placed 15th with a time of 16:32.