‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Brings ‘A New Hope’ to the Star Wars Franchise

MOVIE REVIEW

Carlos Almeida, Arts Editor

The new installment in the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, returns to ‘A Galaxy Far, Far Away’…. with a Bang! In its opening weekend, Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed $529 million internationally, breaking records previously held by films such as Titanic, The Avengers, and Jurassic World. However, Star Wars not only leaves an impression in movie history, but as well as the viewers, leaving fans like me excited to see what the series has next.

This new installment in the Star Wars franchise introduces new characters including Finn, a former First Order stormtrooper, Rey, a junk scavenger who possesses the Force, Poe Dameron, a Resistance X-Wing fighter pilot, and BB-8, a droid belonging to Poe. The film also introduces a new villain, a former Jedi turned dark warrior for the First Order, an evil organization that plans to control and bring darkness to the universe. The movie also reunites former characters of the series including Han Solo and Princess Leia, who heads the Resistance that plans to destroy the First Order.

The movie’s plot involves the search for Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi, in order to defeat the First Order, and the First Order’s actions to stop the Resistance from discovering him. Finn and Rey, along with BB-8, search for the Resistance after finding a clue to Luke’s location, and are aided along the way by Han Solo and Chewbacca. The movie shows sparks between its two lead stars, as well as between Han Solo and Princess Leia who have not seen each other in years. However, Star Wars chooses not to pursue these love stories any further, opting to give the viewer more story and action instead. Star Wars will leave the viewer laughing, smiling, and even crying, as there is death upon death, not only from stormtroopers, but also includes some key characters in a scene paralleling Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

The Force Awakens also does not fall flat on the action sequences, combining the classic action sequences like piloting X-Wing fighters and the Millennium Falcon, as well as the classic lightsaber battles, and adds new suspense. Viewers and die hard fans do not need to worry that Star War: The Force Awakens will be lower than their expectations, like Star Wars: Episode 1 was, as director J.J. Abrams (Star Trek and Lost) masterfully combines old characters and plotlines with new ones to build both a sense of nostalgia and suspense.

The Star Wars franchise plans to continue with Episodes VIII & IX being directed by Rian Johnson (Looper and Breaking Bad) and Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) respectively. Star Wars also plans to release an anthology series directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla), as well as independent films for Han Solo and Boba Fett, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Though there is uncertainty in the future of the Star Wars Franchise with J.J. Abram’s departure after The Force Awakens, the film leaves numerous viewers wanting more and numerous ways to continue the multi-billion dollar franchise.