Track Team Regains Footing at Marine Corps Classics

In the varsity boys 800 meter run,UDII Byron Simmons placed 5th, running a 2:00 despite getting tangled with another runner

Milesplit

Milesplit

Othman Muhammad, Assistant Sports Editor

After a lackluster performance at Bishop Loughlin Games, the Gray Bees showed their prowess at the Marine Corps Holiday Classics in the New York City Armory Dec. 29. Despite not having any first place finishes, the team had superb performances both individually and on relays.

The highlight of the meet was the varsity Distance Medley Relay. Senior Scott Bamberg led off with the 1200m and finished in 3 minutes, 23 seconds. He passed the baton to UDI Kaylan Depas who finished the 400m in 55.0 . After returning from one year of not running, senior Stephen Valvano took the baton and ran a 2:04 800m. UDII Juan Rosa anchored them to a 4th place finish running a 4:40 mile.

“The plan for the team was to go out and do our best. It’s the second meet of the year so we wanted to see what our fitness level was at,” Stephen Valvano said after the race. “Our time was good considering the season has just started and we were happy with a 4th place finish.”

In the varsity boys 800 meter run, UDII Byron Simmons placed 5th, running a 2:00 despite getting tangled with another runner.

“While trying to stay with the group, there was a lot of pushing and shoving and I stumbled,” Byron said, reflecting on his race. He said, “I did not let that stop me and once I regained my balance I used the rest of the strength I had to make up for lost time.”

Representing the sprinters, Senior Jared Lampley took first place in heat three of the Varsity 200 meter Prelims, running a 23.06, which qualified for finals. In the finals, Jared medaled by placing 3rd and running a personal best of 22.79.

UDII Mac-Gregore Jeune reached the varsity triple jump finals, placing 8th with a jump of 40-2 feet. In the high jump, he placed 10th,  tying his personal best of 6 feet.

The track team hopes to carry this momentum forward because they have big races approaching them. Distance coach David Alfano said that the race is only a foreshadow of better things to come later on in the season.

“The entire St. Benedict’s Prep Track and Field teams took a step forward in our quest of tackling some of the upcoming races for national standards,” Mr. Alfano said.