Father Casimir Crowned Group Game Champions

UDI Fabian Rojas holding the ball he used to shoot a game changing three-pointer.

Othman Muhammad

Othman Muhammad

Othman Muhammad, Assistant Sports Editor

After a rollercoaster series, group Father Casimir brought home the 2016 Group Game Championship for Dodgeball April 22.

The road to the finals was not an easy one. In the first round, Fr. Casimir successfully defeated John Doyle. Afterwards, they beat Fr. Dunstan to advance to the semifinals. There they faced off against Frank Hill and won.

Going into the championship, Joe K was the fan favorite because they are known for being a dominant force, when it comes to dodgeball. However, Joe K was not ready for Fr. Casimir’s “secret weapon.”

In the first game Fr. Casimir got the job done quickly. They managed to eliminate all the members of Joe K without taking any casualties. Joe K changed the lineup, and with this new group on the floor, they cleaned house and managed to secure a win in game two.

The championship all came down to game three. At first they were at a stalemate, but after both players gained access to approach the three point line, it was a slaughter on both ends of the floor. It seemed as if it was anyone’s game, until Fr. Casimir lost its penultimate member.

Three members of Joe K squared off against UDI Fabian Rojas for the Group Game Dodgeball Title. It seemed as if all hope was lost for Fabian, but when faced with adversity, he rose to the occasion. He caught the ball thrown by a member of Joe K and got him eliminated. Despite being in a two versus one situation, Fabian did everything he could to secure the victory for Fr. Casimir.

With time winding down, Fabian felt that his only course of action was to shoot a three pointer, which would allow his whole team to come back into the game. The two members of Joe K were left empty-handed and Fabian capitalized on the situation. When he pulled up from the three point line, the audience was stunned into silence. After the shot went it in, pandemonium broke out.

After the game Fabian reflected on his shot saying, “I was shocked beyond belief; there was no way I thought I was going to make that shot.”

Members of Fr. Casimir returned on the floor and with the odds in their favor, the group successfully captured the Group Game Championship.

“When he was in the corner, I thought he was going to get out,” senior Yohann Ulysse said. “Honestly when he made the shot, he reminded me of Michael Jordan shooting the game winner for his team.”