• Fr. Cornelius Selhuber Wins Best Group for the Fall Term of 2018.

White Wins Sachs Award

The+Raymond+J.+Sachs%2C+Sr.+%E2%80%9825+Award+recipient+Craig+White+attributing+his+success+to+his+late+grandmother.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

White Wins Sachs Award

The Raymond J. Sachs, Sr. ‘25 Award recipient Craig White attributing his success to his late grandmother.

Gabriel Cuadrado

Gabriel Cuadrado

Gabriel Cuadrado

Sebastian Granizo, Photography Editor

Freshman Algebra I teacher and head crew coach Craig White ‘04 was awarded with Raymond J. Sachs, Sr. ‘25 Award on September 20. This award is given to a teacher who demonstrates outstanding performance inside and outside the classroom. The recipient must also have worked for at least five years, teach full time and exemplify the criteria in the St. Benedict’s “Profile of the Teacher.” Mr. White, was among several nominees and selected by a committee of teachers and a student.

Although Mr. White does not know why he was chosen, some colleagues and students said that he was chosen because of his hard work and dedication. Mr. White, who has taught here for six years, founded the Gray Bee Crew team in 2012 and coached it ever since. According to faculty members, Mr. White is both a great coach and teacher.

“He is always setting high standards and helping students meet those standards,” Dean of Faculty Mrs. Tuorto said.

Mr. White teaches students that by constantly working hard and being dedicated to their work, overtime, they will excel at it. Whether it was through teaching or coaching, Craig’s determination served as a role model for members of the Hive.

“He is relentless and pursues whatever he is passionate about,” last year’s winner and Athletic Director  Mr. Leahy said.

Many students and faculty members are proud to see Mr. White receive this award because of the  sacrifices he made for the greater good of the community.

“It was nice to see my coach, who has done so much for me and other people get recognized,” senior Jefferson Pereira said.

Mr. White is amongst several alumni who have come back to teach at St. Benedict’s. When he was a senior, Mr. White was the 2004 Senior Group Leader and went on to win the Presidential Award winner at graduation.

“I learned how to be a man here and that’s why I came back – so that I can repay that debt,” Mr. White said. “I learned how to be a good person from my family, and no amount of time would allow me to thank them enough.”

Last year's recipient and Athletic Director Thomas Leahy presenting Algebra I teacher and head crew coach Craig White with the Raymond J. Sachs, Sr. ‘25 Award.

Gabriel Cuadrado
Last year’s recipient and Athletic Director Thomas Leahy presenting Algebra I teacher and head crew coach Craig White with the Raymond J. Sachs, Sr. ‘25 Award.

About the Writer
Sebastian Granizo, Sports Editor

Sebastian Granizo is a senior who transferred to Benedict’s in the beginning of his sophomore year. He is currently the Sports Editor, Maroon Section...