A Depleted Swimming Team Places Ninth at Super Essex Conference Championships

The Swimming team practicing for the Super Essex Conference Championships.

Richard Araujo

Richard Araujo

Richard Araujo, Sports Editor

Despite having had only a total of six swimmers competing at the Super Essex Conference Championships Jan. 16, the varsity swim team still managed to splash home ninth place of the 12 teams that competed.

“I think we showed good effort and represented the St. Benedict’s brand very well at the meet,” said coach Jose Cruz ‘97. “The fact that we were short handed with the two injuries didn’t help.”  

The two injuries he was referring to sidelined senior and captain Daryl Corprew and freshman Anthony Cunas. The swimmers were scheduled and expected to compete in individual and relay events, both of which had to be re-arranged or cancelled due to their absence.

“I was satisfied with our results,” said Daryl. “But I wish I could have swum because with more swimmers there could have been more accomplishments to bring back to the Hive.”

Anthony also wished he could have helped.

“When I saw the team competing on Monday, I wanted to suit up and swim so that I could help my brothers score points,” he said.

Despite lacking swimmers, those competing worked hard, with each member improving his times in at least one event.

One significant improvement came from UDI Josh Rodriguez who dropped a whopping total of four seconds in his 50 yard Freestyle, now having a new time of 27 seconds.

Another major accomplishment came from the 400 yard Freestyle Relay, consisting of senior and captain Aidan Rodgers, UDII and captain Lamar Williams, senior Richard Araujo, and freshman Aidan Davis. The relay dropped a total of seven seconds, hitting a best time of 3 minutes and 38 seconds.

Aside from hitting best times in his 100 yard Freestyle and 50 yard freestyle, Aidan Rodgers was also able earn two fifth place medals in both the individual events.

These accomplishments have Lamar hopeful for the rest of the season.

“I saw our potential this past Monday, and there should be no reason why we shouldn’t keep improving on a daily basis, and hit even faster times before Easterns,” Lamar said.