Varsity Soccer Back On Top

Video Courtesy of Max Blacker

Diego Martinez and Jonathan Dulce

The Gray Bees are buzzing once again as the varsity soccer team romped Blair Academy 4-0 to become National Champions for the 11th time in their history. Capturing their 28th State Prep championship in 29 years, it only took 6 minutes for Jimmy Wandling’s  Gray Bees to sting.  

Cao Chaves led a forceful drive down the left flank, laying it off to Felipe Lucas. The shot was deflected off the keeper and tapped in by Ronald Mafunzwaini to open up the scoring for the Gray Bees. This led to the next 80 minutes of command by the Gray Bees netting a total of 4 goals and conceding 0.  

Azriel Johnson who came off the bench for Thursday’s game, told us how it felt to a take an early lead. ¨I just wanted coach to put me in,¨ he said.  He netted the fourth and final goal of the game eliminating all hope for Blair to come back.

By dominating Blair, the Saint Benedict’s Prep Boys Varsity Soccer Team returned the State Prep Final Trophy to where it had spent the last 27 years prior to last year’s fluke. The win also reestablished a national ranking of #1 in the country, according to Top Drawer Soccer Rankings and USA Today High School Sports.

Last year the boys soccer team left many Grey Bee supporters unhappy. By breaking their 27-year winning streak at the State Prep Finals championship, the team left many wondering where the legacy of Saint Benedict’s Prep soccer was om the worst team of St. Benedict’s Prep to the first team from NJ to win The Dallas Cup, was for us to take out the “weeds” said Felipe Lucas, captain ‘18 in a video produced by SBP students. Last year was a tough year as a new unit came in, 18 seniors graduated from the soccer team. “It can’t feel better than it does at this moment, to bring the title back to benedict’s”, said coach Jim Wandling after the championship ship game. The unsuccessful season presented a new challenge; To prove that St. Benedict’s was still on top.

This year, that goal was completed. “This team this year we had better chemistry.” said UD2 Azriel Johnson. “For next year, expectations are really high, and we want to do it all over again.” We’ll all be looking forward to it.