Track and Field team hard battle with East Orange Campus

Isaiah Murray, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, January 3, the track and field team competed at the Essex County Relays in the Ocean Breeze Track in Staten Island. It was a fierce battle between the Gray Bees and East Orange Campus. The Distance Medley team took first place overall and ran the sixth fastest time in New Jersey which was 10:44. This team consisted of Ronald Kigen (1200), Demere Kearny (400), Michael Melendez (800), followed by anchor Jeron Jordan (1600). UDII Michael Melendez ran a three second personal record of 2:04.

The 4x800m relay team consisted of UDII Alfred Chawonza, Lewis Ngwenya, Jeron Jordan, Michael Melendez took first in this event and also set a new meet record of 8:16

The shuttle hurdle team, which consisted of UDII Isaiah Sanchez, Tyler Antoine, SY Travis Langevine, and UDI Urijah Williams, took 4th place with the combined time of 34.77

The 4x200m team, which consisted of SY Kaylan Depas, Ian Simmons, UDII Isaiah Sanchez, and UDI Malachi Little took 3rd overall, a tenth of a second behind West Side HS with the time 1:32.2. Isaiah Sanchez, Ian Simmons, and Kaylan Depas all went sub 23 seconds.

The sprint medley relay, which consisted of Kaylan (200), Ian Simmons (200), Lewis Ngwenya (400), and Alfred Chawonza (800) took 2nd with the time 3:30.9. The team finished a tenth of a second behind East Orange Campus.

SY Kaylan Depas was awarded athlete of the meet from Sprint Coach Hassan Wilson after his strong performance from three events. Overall the team took 2nd with great performances. It was a fierce battle of the Gray Bees vs East Orange Campus.