Black History Showcase Friday

Yannie Lopez

Students from Benedictine Academy practice for the showcase.

Organizers of the “Black History Showcase” are inviting the St. Benedict’s community, as well as several other students from other area schools, to what they hope will be a major arts event highlighting the beauty and brilliance of black culture.

“Expect to see various dances, poems, songs, and writings related to black history and culture,” said Francis Jean-Paul SY, one of the lead coordinators of the event. “Also expect an enormous amount of energy.”

The event will be held in the SBP cafeteria on Friday, Feb. 22. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and the event will run from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The entry fee is $2. Attendees may purchase dinner for an additional $4.  Students from Benedictine Academy, St. Vincent’s Academy, and Cicely L. Tyson Community Middle/High School are welcome but they MUST bring their IDs.

The event is being organized by Jean-Paul, Kevin Jackson UD2, Senior leaders, various UD2s, students from Benedictine, St. Vincent’s, and the Cicely Tyson School. In addition, members of the St. Benedict’s faculty and staff have made important contributions, Jean-Paul said, including Headmaster Fr. Edwin Leahy, OSB, Assistant Headmasters Michelle Tuorto and Dr. Ivan Lamourt, Dean of Students John Rowe, Vox Institute Executive Director Dr. Glenn Cassidy, Mr. Craig White, Mr. Dominic Canova, Mr. Lincoln Mullings, and Mr. Daniel Gillis.

The purpose of the event, Jean-Paul said, “is to truly get a better understanding and appreciation of black history and culture through the various arts. Students will leave the event feeling like they have learned something they can speak about with their peers.”

He added: “I got involved in organizing the event this year because I truly wanted people from the black community, as well as people from different races, to have a space to showcase their various talents, and have the time to discuss different race issues in a comfortable setting.”